Monday, September 22, 2008

Bert's here!

And he does have a name! Well, we're 99% set on the name :) We've dubbed him Samuel Robert. Sammy for now.

Sorry, we forgot the camera cord, but I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow cuz that's all that matters, right! He is a cutie--red hair, big round cheeks, beautiful skin. He measures in at a whopping 9 lbs, 1 oz and 21 inches. He looks kind of like a 3-wk old :) He was born at 3:40 am Monday morning by emergency section.

And now, time for Too Much Information again! If you don't want the gory details, stop now and go to the "Horror Stories" post, and take about half of my worst expectations and add a little drama, and that's basically it. Which sounds bad, but surprisingly, wasn't actually that bad at the time.

I'll try to keep this brief, kudos to you if you make it through the whole story!

So, I woke up at 4 am Sunday having some contractions that didn't just feel like Braxton-Hicks. I thought, "Today's the day!" Throughout the day Sunday, I had contractions sporadically, some really intense, others, not really. They weren't happening all that often, mostly 10-20 minutes apart. Finally we decided to take the girls to stay with our wonderful friends for the night, hoping we'd end up at the hospital. Around 10:30, contractions got a little more regular and more intense. At 11:30, we went to the hospital even though I wasn't sure it was really time. By midnight, the triage nurse informed me I was dilated to a 7. This surprised everyone, because I wasn't in that much pain. They took me back to the delivery room, and the nurse convinced me that if I had made it to this point so easily, I did not need an epidural. She said I had reached the peak of the pain, and the pain of pushing is different and isn't really numbed by the epidural, and that I'd push a lot more efficiently without it. So I decided to see if I could do it. Go me.

The doc came and broke my water, which had mecomium, so that was some cause for concern. The nurse was like, "you kind of seem like you're having back labor." And she was right, my back did hurt. She was an awesome nurse, and she did the counter-pressure thing for me and really helped me through the contractions. I went on like that for a couple of hours, at one point the baby's heart rate dipped, but changing my position brought it back up. Then suddenly my uterus went berzerk. I started having off the chart contractions one on top of the other. Um, ouch. Baby's heart dipped again. Changed position, got a shot to relax the uterus, and it went back up. I asked for an epidural. The anesthesiologist took FOREVER to get to my room, and the contractions didn't relent the whole time. Ouch. Thought I was going to die. Finally got the epidural and started to feel I could relax, when baby's heart dipped yet again, and my own heartrate went sky-high. Next thing I knew, I was being whisked off to the operating room, on my hands and knees on the bed since that was the position that kept his heart rate up. When we got in there, his heart had dipped again, and words like "Stat" and "crash" were being thrown around which scared me a bit. By the time they let Rob in, they had already sliced down to my uterus--I thought he was going to miss the whole thing. But, out came the baby, and he went straight to the NICU team for evaluation to see if he had breathed in any meconium. Just as they were about to intubate him, he started to cry, thank goodness. Whew. End of drama.

The pediatrician kept a close eye on him for the morning, and he was fine. I got sewed up and drugged up, and I'm fine, too! Once the baby came out, the OB saw the size of his head and his general hugeness, and said she didn't think he would have made it out any other way than a c-section. So, even though things were a little scary, I actually felt very calm throughout, and I'm glad that I didn't have to push and push for hours before we figured out that he was just not going to make it out. AND, he had been completely face-up, so it was full-on back labor, and that would have made pushing harder.

I am so very grateful to have a healthy, beautiful baby boy! We are so blessed!

20 comments:

Katherine said...

Congratulations on Sammy's arrival. After your last post I had you on my mind the entire weekend and even dreamt that you used Kristy's family pass to fly to Vegas to deliver him. It was really nice of you to include me like that :)
I am so sorry to hear about the scary (and painful!) delivery. I always say, that childbirth may be common, but that doesn't mean that it's not a huge risk and it's amazing that the outcome is so good most of the time.
I can't wait to see the pictures. Congrats again!

Christina said...

Congratulations, I'm so glad Sammy is here safe and sound. Good for you making it so far without the epidural and making it to a 7 without even flinching :) I'm glad to final hear all the gory details and I can't to meet the little guy (I mean big guy, 9 lbs!) Now, go get some sleep!

Camille said...

Congrats! 9 lbs! It is a good thing that the came out c-section. I am also impressed with you making it so long sans epidural! I hope you have a great recovery and can't wait to see some pictures!

Unknown said...

Yea yea yea!! I'm so excited Samuel has arrived!! I can't wait to see him. CONGRATS to the whole Jackson Family!

RicAnn said...

WOW! Thats all I can say. You're a trooper. I am so glad things worked out for you and Sammy decided to come to the world. Can't wait to see his cuteness!

If you need anything please don't hesitate to let me know.

Julie M. said...

Congrats! How fun that he has red hair! :) I can't wait to see pictures and good luck with all!

Serena said...

You rock! So glad you and your baby boy are safe and healthy! Excited to see your 3rd red-head:) Love you guys! Take it easy and let Rob and everyone else do whatever they offer to.

[alisar] said...

Can't wait to meet the newest member of the "Roving Redheads." Super Bowl '09??
Congratulations sweet Julie!

TheFunYam said...

Yahoo! Congratulations! I think your new strapping boy will be thrilled with his cute new name (perhaps calling him Bert made him hide out for so long:). Happy day! We love you guys!

Rach and Todd said...

Yay! You did it! What's the big deal, right? How come all these women complain all the time?? (wink, wink) Congratulations. We can't wait to meet him!

Mandi said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I am so glad that you have a great labor/delivery story to tell!!!

HIJK Skousen said...

Wow, what a story. I have been wondering if you had the baby!! GOOD WORK!! I can't wait to see pictures of him and wish I could see him in person. Check out my blog if you ever get a chance. jhskousen@blogspot.com

Good luck with everything!

Becca said...

Oh Julie I'm so happy for you, Sammy is finally here! I can't wait to see him. I'm sorry it was a long time coming, but I'm sure it's so worth it. We love you so much, and good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

So cute and so much hair! Congrats to you and your whole family. (Serena passed on the news.)
-Kathy

Naomi said...

Well done, Julie! Besides the labor part, I love a good, hearty baby. They seem so tough and Naomi-proof! Can't wait for pictures and the girls' reactions!

Marie said...

Congratulations Julie! That is an amazing experience- I am so glad to hear you are both doing well. I can't wait to see some pictures and hear what his sisters think!

Boss said...

Congratulations! You can't go wrong with a name like Sam. Every family needs a baby Sam, I say. And now yours is here safe and sound. Strong work! Here's hoping your recovery goes a little more smoothly than your delivery. Take care!
Diana

Becky said...

Congrats! Can't wait to see this little guy who took so long to make his grand entrance. Hope you are recovering quickly!

Jackee said...

I'm so happy everyone is doing great and safe and sound. Way to go, Superwoman!

I don't know if it's just having babies at night (since I had both at night too) or the whole labor thing, but it feels so surreal and that lifts the burden of the trauma a little and you can cope better. When Isaak was born and wouldn't breath, I handled it so calmly at first, not really knowing how scary it was. When that surreal labor thing wore off, I was a wreck.

Angela said...

Julie--you are absolutely amazing. Way to go for so long without an epidural, then go through a c-section! We're so glad Sammy's here safely. We love you all so much!