Tuesday, September 9, 2008

World's Worst Gardener


This summer I didn't try to go all out on a garden. I just wanted a few tomatoes, and for the first time ever I planted zucchini. I was traumatized by all the zucchini I had to eat as a child, and have never wanted any of my own, but this summer it just sounded good. Must be the weird hormones. Plus, I thought it would give me an ego boost to have a plant overflowing with vegetables. But apparently, I cannot grow even zucchini. I get tons of big, beautiful flowers that shrivel up and fall off before they turn into anything.


Finally, I found this buried in the leaves:




Rob says I should have titled this post "When Urologists grow zucchini". Ha ha.
So far, I made a loaf of zucchini bread, which used about 1/8th of this monster. And we ate the whole thing in one day. And Grace calls it "bikini bread." So I guess I'll try to make a couple more loaves, and then I think my hankering for zucchini will be about done. So I guess it's alright that I'm the world's worst gardener :)

2 comments:

John said...

Rob, you've got a twisted sense of humor. Julie, Grace is so cute! Reminds us when Sara saw the Portland temple and said, "Mom look, Angel Fioni" (think Shrek)

TheFunYam said...

Julie, I am LOVING your blog, you make me giggle and hoot. So you won't be making us any zucchini treats for our next meeting? Oh yeah, and are you still pregnant? Ha! :)