Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mantras

Rob's grandpa had all these sayings he used to tell his kids, which I think is kind of cool. It seems like that would help you focus on the things that are most important to your family. Some of his were:
  • Cast the beam (as in, from your own eye)
  • A soft answer turneth away wrath
  • No excuses, just performance
  • Nothing tastes as good as thin feels
  • Keep your pecker in your pants (they had 6 boys!)

I'm thinking I should get a mantra or two. So far I like "I can do hard things." That's from Sister Tanner of the YW. Also, "If you have a nice thought, do it." That's from another talk by someone... don't remember who! I really need to work on that one.

Did your parents have wise sayings? Do you? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

[alisar] said...

Hmmm. Great post. I actually remember Rob's grandpa's "Don't get fat" phrases - he influences me too.
Phrases close to my heart? There is always my aunt Trudy's "Life Sucks and then You Die" which teaches me that nothing ever ever goes exactly the way you want it to, and that's the point of life.
There is my dad's "Enjoy the magic, believe the wonder" that teaches me there is a power out there that is beyond comprehension. And finally, I've always liked "It is better to shoot for the stars and hit an eagle, than to shoot for an eagle and hit a rock." Comforting when I don't achieve my lofty goals.

Julie said...

I knew that you would have good ones! Thanks! I should add that I don't necessarily agree with all of Grandpa Jackson's phrases. Some things actually do taste as good as thin feels--maybe better :)