Sunday, January 4, 2009

Looking forward, looking back


Just 18 months ago, Rob, Grace and I were in Hawaii. We had just put in our papers to adopt again and Rob was about to finish his first year of residency. We figured we'd get a baby about the time he finished his second year. Life was busy, and simple (though I didn't realize that at the time!)

That July, Rob started his 2nd year, which turned out to be horrendously awful. Bye-bye post-call days! We rarely saw him. And in August we found out that we had been chosen to adopt a baby girl. Two weeks later, Grace and I moved to Kentucky for a month. We came home, Viv got colicky, it was the holidays, had a whirlwind trip to Utah. A few weeks later, when Viv was 4 months old, I realized that I was pregnant. And Grace turned 3 and got a whole new personality.

So 2008 began with me adjusting to what felt like a whole new life. Almost-single parenting 2 kids while prego. Also I was the Enrichment counselor, which was WAY out of my comfort zone. The months flew by and then of course, Sam was born and all of Fall I was basically out of commission. Then it was the busy holiday season again, and here we are at the beginning of 2009.

All of this is to justify why I feel like I have been off-kilter for the last long while. And why I am looking forward to an uneventful year, knock on wood. This year I am going to make some resolutions. Here's a start:
  • Spend quality time with each child every day
  • Take more videos
  • Write in my journal
  • Do more service
  • Sew the valances and pillows I bought fabric for 2 years ago
  • Don't procrastinate
  • Go to bed before midnight
  • Read the Doctrine and Covenants

Things to look forward to:

  • Vivian going to nursery!
  • Vivian learning to talk
  • Sam reaching all kinds of milestones
  • Grace going to a closer preschool
  • Dance lessons
  • Rob starting a year of research
  • Rob has most of his vacation time left for this year
  • Having valances in the kitchen :)
  • Remodeling the bathroom at last!

Bring on 2009!

8 comments:

Jessie Riley said...

Just saw the new pictures you put up. And caught up with your blog.
WOW. What a whirlwind is right!

Good luck with Sewing those vanlances! ;) you can do it!

Christina said...

Crazy year! I hope this year is much calmer, less stressful, and that you find time to get those pillows and valances done. We should have a girls night in and help you finish them!

Jenni said...

You're amazing! Since you made it through last year, you can do anything! Those are wonderful goals you set for this year--I should set some of my own. It was so fun seeing you guys on Christmas Eve. I hope you had a wonderful New Years!

Marie said...

I loved your list. I made a big old list of things to do this year, but forgot about listing the wonderful things that are just going to happen all on their own. Happy things to look forward to. I'm going to make my own list right now! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jackee said...

I'm rooting for you--2009 has got to be your year (at least DEFINITELY better than 2008)!

Becca said...

Julie you are so amazing! You are such an wonderful example to me, hopefully some day I will be a great mom like you. I'm looking forward to seeing those valences!

Kerri said...

What great goals...I guess I should set some! You are an amazing person.

victoria said...

Julie! I found your blog this morning and have been reading all about your life. It's so fun for me to see what you've been up to - and you've been up to a lot of good. Hope all is well with you and your beautiful family. Thanks for being such a fantastic "mom." What a blessing that mission was. daug meiles, sesuo hale