Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It must be done

But for months I have not been able to bring myself to do it. Two things, actually. We need to get rid of the cable (and therefore all TV) and we need to find a new home for Homer.

I don't think I watch that much TV, and especially now that it's summer there isn't much I'm interested in. But it's just knowing that I could sit down and watch if I wanted to. Veg for a while. I know, I know, I should read a book instead. Or just go to bed early. Or play Boggle with Rob. Millions of things to do instead of watching TV. But sadly it is hard to let go of. It is just so easy to sit down and flip a switch.


And then there's the really hard one: Homer. We have had Homer for almost 7 years. Homer brought me some emotional stability through the years when I wanted a baby so badly that I was really pretty crazy. It was Rob's idea to get a dog, and according to him it was pure revelation. I totally believe that. I just can't explain how having him around helped me.


But things change, and now I find myself annoyed with him pretty much any time he isn't asleep. He just adds a little too much chaos to life, and with little Bert on the way, it's more chaos than I'm prepared to handle. The hardest part is going to be breaking the news to Grace, and helping her say goodbye. I tear up just thinking about it, or maybe it's because I'm thinking about me saying goodbye. The other day she said to him, "You're my best friend forever." Granted, pretty much everyone is her best friend right now. I'm sure she'll recover quickly, but I just dread that moment of watching him walk away with another family. Some days I think we could make it work, that we should make it work. But we think it would be better to have him gone before the baby gets here. This is for the best, right?


So, if you know anyone who might want to provide a good home for a beagle who is really a good dog, send them our way.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, Homey. I wondered if this time would ever come. Three kids under the age of 4 and a dog on top of it--that's definitely more than I can handle. You're going to make a family out there so happy. He's a sweetie.

And what? No more cable? Say it isn't so.

Jackee said...

It seems like only yesterday he was that cute and rascally little puppy. He and Kodi would play and play all day.... Sorry about the loss(es)! Poor Kodi and Kena have been permanently outside dogs and thus permanently filthy.

Melody said...

My kids have started asking for a pet and I say when I don't have anyone else to clean up after maybe we'll consider it. (I'm thinking I'm good till their 18). Kids and pets lots of work. I'd say your making a good decision though to let him travel on to another family.It's like he's growing up and moving out, sheesh it's about time, in dog years he's about 49!

Angela said...

What a beautiful picture of Homer, Julie. That's such a tough decision for you to make but I can't imagine staying sane with 3 very young children and a pet to take care of, also.

Julie M. said...

I wish we could have him! I wouldn't know what to do with a dog, much less my girls AND a dog!!

Julie said...

So sorry to hear you're getting rid of Homer! I gave up with Simon after only months of parenting, so you have really given it a good try! Dogs and babies are tough together.

[alisar] said...

We were with the Reynolds this weekend. Annie told me the Homer news so we all reminisced about our favorite Homer memories. All of them included your old trailer too. Such precious memories! We'll all miss him, but between you and me, I.don't.blame.you.one.single.bit.