Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Everything

A quick update before I get to what I want to say. I came home from the hospital on Friday, yay! It has been wonderful to be home, and also challenging. It is a lot harder to get to the computer than I thought it would be! I am getting stronger and less sore every day. I have a new appreciation for the little things the kids do that are so adorable. I didn't realize how much I missed them. My mom is here, and she is soooo much help. I quite literally could not do this without her! So many people have been so helpful, thoughtful, and wonderful--family, friends, Rob's co-workers, people at Grace's preschool, and of course the ward. We are so, so blessed.

I have finally taken some more pictures and hopefully I will get them up on the Flickr site soon.


Which brings me to the most wonderful person of all, Rob. I have been through a lot physically the last few weeks, but Rob has had the harder job. As I try to list all the things he has done, it just doesn't do him credit. He has taken care of everything so that I would not have to worry at all. Every night that he possibly could, he brought Sammy and stayed with me at the hospital, then took care of all of the midnight feedings. That, in addition to being there as long as he could every day and doing anything for me that I couldn't do for myself. Then he would go home and take care of the girls. He kept the medical people on their toes and asked all the questions I didn't even know enough to ask. He gave me a number of blessings which brought me so much comfort and peace. He has been my emotional rock and has bolstered my faith. He has been Superdad. He brought food from the cafeteria when the hospital food was just too gross :) He nagged me to do all the annoying things they tell you to do so you won't get pneumonia or a DVT while you're in the hospital. He has told me all the way through that I am beautiful, even when I was completely distended and greasy-haired and had tubes coming out my nose. And he's never complained.

I know the problem with lists is that I've surely forgetten something huge. But I want to tell Rob how much I appreciate all the sacrifices he has made and continues to make. This may be corny, but some lines from this poem have been in my head when I've thought about Rob. The poem is Funeral Blues by W.H. Auden, and even though it is a poem of mourning, to me it's about the depth of love. (I took some liberties with the tense and with the last line...)

He is my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought I knew how much I loved him: I was wrong.

Thank you, Rob, for being my everything.

6 comments:

RicAnn said...

What a great Hubby! Props to you Rob. I hope you have a super fast recovery, and if you need help please let me know!

[alisar] said...

I love you, Jackson 5.

Unknown said...

Julie, I am SO glad you are finally home! I have been thinking about you constantly. Hope you continue to heal and get better. Little man Sam is the sweetest boy!!

Christina said...

Yay, I'm glad you are home also and can finally start to recover! I can't wait to see little Sam again and call me if you need anything!

[AnnieR] said...

What a guy. I actually left your post up on the screen last night so Brandon could read it, too. A little subliminal inspiration, if you will.

Kerri said...

So glad you are home! So glad you have Rob!