Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Guess that's how the future's done

The source for the title of my blog is a song by Feist, my (and Grace's!) new favorite musician. I hope that isn't plagarism or copyright infringement :o I think of it more as allusion. The song is Mushaboom:



I just love the song, and right now I'm especially relating to the line about "second floor living without a yard." We are actually living in a pretty nice apartment here in KY, which we found through a corporate housing company. It's 2-bed, 2 bath, has a garage, full kitchen, washer/dryer. We spent our first few days in a hotel room, and I do not know how I would have survived a whole month there. So I am very grateful to be here. But it has made me appreciate my 1-floor house with a nice (if overgrown) backyard. I'm glad we decided to buy a house rather than a condo, even though the yardwork is kind of a lot to deal with. For the last 3 weeks, we have been picnicking on the little balcony here, and Grace spends as much time as she can out there when we're home. It's just not the same as picnicking under our big maple tree and playing in the sandbox.

The latest news is that we are waiting on the whim of a judge, who will decide whenever he feels like it to pick up our file and deem it legal for us to return to Michigan. Today the social worker told me to plan on another week. I started crying. It was pathetic :) If they hadn't told me a week ago that I was going home a week ago, I would be fine with this. We are really doing fine, finding lots to do, and our spirits have been high. But being told every day that it will be "tomorrow" and then "Monday for sure". Well, maybe I imagined the "for sure". It is frustrating. Today I was mopy. But tonight I bought myself some chamomile tea, dark chocolate, and a box of haircolor (don't worry, Rob, it's not permanent). I'm having my own private spa of sorts! And tomorrow we will go have fun and not sit around staring at the phone for one second! Well, maybe just one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Julie -- we can't wait for you to get home!! Brigham misses Grace!! We can't wait to see your new little one. That would be so very hard being away from your home for such a long time, but it is so worth it. How's it going with Glenna?