Monday, September 24, 2007

Caving to pressure

So Rob has trying to get me to do this for a long time now. Why did I finally give in? Mostly because there are a lot of people whose blogs I enjoy reading, it's always fun to keep up on what's going on in their lives, but it's not actually "keeping in touch" if it only goes one way. I was hoping my flickr page would fill this need, but it doesn't seem to be very comment friendly.

Also, it feels like a chance to grow. In high school and college, I wrote all the time and it helped me find who I was. But life marches on and I haven't written for ages. Suddenly I find myself in my 30s and a mother of two! Who am I now and what do I have to say? Part of what has held me back from doing this for so long is that I have felt I have nothing to say--an introvert by nature, not a witty bone in my body, and not one for getting on a soapbox. But I've decided I need to focus more on my life, live with purpose. Things get so busy that I don't stop to reflect. I had someone wish me once, "Hope you stay busy!" as we parted. Ummm. No doubt about it, busy-ness has its therapeutic value, and sometimes it is just unavoidable. But is it an end in itself? I hope not! So, I hope that sitting down and writing will help me focus on living life and not just watching it roll by as I stay busy.

I do not promise anything entertaining, educational or even coherent. Just me rambling. I'll see how it goes, and maybe I'll quit in a week or two. This is a trial run and nothing more! I'm loving photography right now, but maybe a blog will rekindle my old love of writing. Here goes nothing!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Julie--
I'm so glad you started a blog! I haven't started one either due to the same reasons you mentioned but I always love reading my friends' blogs. We check your flickr page all the time and can't wait to meet Viv. She's such a doll! Gracie is really growing up and is as adorable as ever.

Jackee said...

Julie! I haven't taken the time to read your whole blog until today and I got to this first entry and your thoughts are just beautiful! We talked about daily writings for gratitude and noticing God's hands in our lives (Elder Eyring's last talk) today at church and I instantly thought about blogging (since I started one this month). And in this post you have voiced my thoughts here perfectly. Thanks. It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in my pursuit of purpose, my striving to be better, and sometimes even the isolationism that comes with being a mom. Anyway, Steve and I sure miss you guys and I think often --and gratefully-- on what good friends you and Rob were to us when we were all together on 1000 East.