Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Vaccinated

Our public health department had a huge H1N1 vaccination clinic at the indoor stadium of a local university, and we decided it was worth it to get the kids vaccinated. It was a zoo. We had to go get wristbands at 9am, then come back at noon to get into the line for the actual shot. When we got back, the line was outside around the building in freeeeeeeezing cold wind. I had stocked up on snacks since we were missing lunch, but I was not prepared for a THREE HOUR wait. Grace knew she was getting a shot at the end of the ordeal, so had to go through the long hungry wait anticipating pain, the poor girl. Here is Sam after his shot, a happy camper. Now I just hope we don't all get the swine foo (as Grace calls it) from the thousands of people we were milling around with for 3 hours.

6 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

I don't know if you will take solace in this but Josh and I went to be vaccinated and got to the Utah Valley Health Dept at 7:30 a.m. and the line was already several hundred people long. We then waited in line for four hours outside in the freezing cold before we got our vaccinations. We also thought that the chance was really good that we would catch something from standing in line with actually thousands of other people (they gave 3700 shots that morning and ran out)! There has got to be a better way!! I have great admiration for all those moms like you who waited with lots of little people to have their turn. Love in action!!!

Jane Anne said...

Love that picture of Sam :)

Apron Appeal said...

I went Christmas shopping today....your story reminds me of the cabbage patch doll shortage during the Christmas of 1982. Yeah its our health but with a supply and demand debacle like this all I can think of is this is more about money than Health. I didn't get my cabbage patch doll in 1982 and I lived. I hope my strategy works out for me this year too.

In case it doesn't...you can all say I TOLD YOU SO at my funeral...no eulogy's needed.

Christina said...

Wow, I'm glad I didn't end out going knowing that you had to wait 3 hours after already getting the wristbands. I'll take my chances, I guess!

Jackee said...

Ugh. I lucked out and had a Dr. appt just as they got their first shipment. The appt was for Audrey, so I didn't even have to pay for a copay for the older two. So sorry for your experience.


I'm behind on your blog. The kid's costumes are adorable! Glad you guys are doing well and we miss you!

Megan B ♥ said...

We "lucked out" and got our Swine Foo the old-fashioned way. I agonized over the decision and had FINALLY decided that we would get the shots when they became available. We got it about 3 days before that. Nice, huh? :) But, on a positive note.... we did avoid the lines. Snort.